Saturday 23 June 2012

Not long now...

So, here I am, on the eve if the Transalp....

Six months have gone by mighty quick; but I feel that I have
managed to squeeze a decent amount of training into that time. And in terms of training hours, hours on the bike, kilometres ridden and fitness (FTP, Box Hill time, etc) I have had my best season yet. And tomorrow I get the chance to utilise all that; and to see how I fair in the mountains.

This week has very much been about Taper & Preparation.

Monday...
Rest day

Tuesday...
A quick spin on the 2 hills (Effingham & Box) loop. Or so I thought. Was due to be meeting a KW training group at Cobham. Only as I was heading into Cobham at speed, they passed in the other direction, strung out chain-gang style. By the time I had stopped & turned I was 400m back. It took a 15min threshold chase to catch them by the top of the Effingham climb. And then Box Hill turned into the usual drag race. So a good little workout.

Wednesday, Thursday, Friday...
Rest day, bike clean / dismantle / box up, and packing. Early taxi, fly to Munich and train to Mittenwald. Exciting stuff.

Today...
Breakfast, then across town to registration. Checked out the Expo: including getting the bike checked over by the the 'Rose Bikes' service centre mechanic. Good job really as the brakes, headset and front mech all benefited from a bit of a tune (and my race partner [MM], whose chainset had been playing, up required a new one - fitted while we waited. Result.)

Then headed out of town for a 'shake-down' ride and to get any lingering 'travel' out of our legs. Up the climb to Leutasch, we crossed the border into Austria and headed up the valley towards Buchener Hohe. Lunch - Bratwurst & Frites - in the sun surrounded by mountains. Absolutely stunning.




No comments:

Post a Comment