Saturday 11 February 2012

January

A few comments to summarise January.  Let's start with some stats (4 weeks from 1st Jan to 29th Jan):

Month
Jan-12
Training Hrs    
33:20:32
Kms
400.6
TSS/wk
699
Weightloss
12.4 lbs

30/30 January...
#Fail  The plan had been to get this training block off to a start with a bang.  The challenge was to complete 30 days of training (minimum of 30mins) in January with just the one wildcard.  The short-of-it is that I failed, missing workouts on Monday 30th and Tuesday 31st.  However, the long-of-it is that this challenge was all about providing an extra boost to motivation to get me training, and from that stance it was a success, in the first few weeks of January there was many a day when I got home late from work yet still got on the turbo to complete a 30/40 minute session.  This resulted in my averaging 8hrs for the first 4 weeks of my programme, ahead of my targets.

Weightloss...
My targeted weight loss for the six months of this training programme - in preparation for the Transalp - is 45lbs, 3st 5lbs, 21.3kg, 1.8 lbs/wk, 22% of body weight or 70% of body fat. Which, however you look at it, is quite a lot. This means that if I am going to 'keep the wheels on' this project I need to get onto it fast. A bad fortnight would put be behind target and leave little options with catching up. On the basis that the more you have the more/easier to lose, I have set targets at 3 lbs/wk for Jan, 2/wk for Feb, 1.8/wk for Mar and 1.6/wk for Apr & May.

In Jan I lost 12.4 lbs at 3.1 lbs/wk - so on/ahead of target. Woohoo. I can be a bit all or nothing; If I'm keen, I'm KEEN; if I'm not, then meh. And remaining motivated plays a big part of this. So great to kick off with solid weightloss. I feel that the programme is working, and I am keen to keep at it, as it seems to be working. And a side effect is that I have started to look more unfat. Given that I was at the top of my 'range' my clothes had been full. Now everything fits better and I look better for it. All good.

Training...
In previous seasons my best average training hours for January has been 6h28.  With that I mind I set myself a target of hitting 7hrs/wk.  In the end I have been super-motivated, and managed to put in 33h20 training hours over the four weeks, an average of 8:20 hrs/wk.  Furthermore, in previous seasons I have done some gym sessions so have training included time on x-trainers, ergo rowers and treadmills.  This year I am aiming for more specificity - i.e. train to cycle faster, by cycling more -  so have done all this training in the saddle (spin class, turbo or open road).  I am feeling fitter & stronger on the bike, and have raised my notional FTP (on the basis of ride/review of my CP Curve).

Next month...
More of the same.  And do a FTP test to quantify training gains.

No comments:

Post a Comment